Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Um, I signed up for a MARATHON?

Mark this day down in history...I signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon (yes, the full 26.2 miles...of running...)!  What am I thinking?  I think I've completely lost it.  But, I also think you have to in some way in order to even contemplate attempting the full marathon.  You have to lose yourself to take on the intense training, the mental preparation, the nutrition, and the eventual satisfaction of completing said 26.2 miles (of running - seriously, what am I thinking?!?) in order to visualize the person you want to see crossing that finish line.  Am I ready?  Not today.  Ask me in 7 months when I'm at the start line.  Was I ready for my first half-marathon?  Nope.  Did I finish two already, have a third coming up and several races in between?  You betcha!  And I've loved every second of getting to those finish lines.

Now, being that I'm a stay-at-home mom, I have a little bit more time on my hands to do some additional training.  At least, I'm hoping that I will.  Looks like a treadmill will be in my very near future.  Ugh.  At least the weather is getting nicer, I have a double-jogging stroller, and I have friends that like to run, too.  Support is going to be HUGE!  On those days when I have long runs, I'm going to need that extra kick out of bed or onto the road.  Perhaps a running buddy; that way I can't bail on the run.  I have to be there because someone else is waiting for me.  Eh, maybe not... :)

So, now what?  The training plan I found doesn't have me starting until 20 weeks prior to race day.  I know I have a lot more to do even before that training starts.  First things first: I need to focus on completing my next half on March 31st and setting the PR (personal record) that I want.  I shaved off 7 minutes between the Rock 'n Roll half and the Philly half last year, so we'll see if I can do that again this time!  Yikes!  So that's the first thing I'm going to do.  After that, who knows.  If anyone has any tips, please send them my way!  I'm a sponge right now, trying to soak up any and all information I possibly can on this feat.  You can also feel free to tell me I'm crazy.  The more I hear that, the more motivated I'll be to remember that you do have to lose your mind a little to embark on a journey like this...but what a journey it's going to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment